Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Update on chart plotter

AND YET MORE ...

 Oct. 20, 2013

Someone downloaded the program to the right sized SD card. I put it in the chart plotter.

Nothing happened.

Back to West Marine when I get back from this little cruise.




     Or, I don't really like it when people unnecessarily waste my time

In yesterday's blog entry, I mentioned that I have a Garmin chart plotter, and that it recently malfunctioned, assuming that everything on the planet is at latitude 32ºN. Personally, I suspect that isn't true.  :)

So I followed the instructions the retailer gave me, and went online to get the software update, only to find that their software updates are only Windows compatible. Since I have a Macintosh, I'm going to have to inconvenience a friend (a friend willing to download an unknown program for me), put it on a memory stick, bring it back to the boat, plug it into the chart plotter and hope it all works.

This is not just a "bit" of bother. It's a colossal bother.

So, although I own a Garmin Chart Plotter, I urge all who use Macintosh to shop around before settling on Garmin. You may find that another manufacturer is more Macintosh-friendly, and that could be a tremendous help to you one day.

'Nuff said about that.

2 comments:

  1. Susan; great blog, very informative and well written. I was wondering how you got along with a 31'? Seems really small to me, and I'm going solo as well. And I hope you got your money back from the flake that did the crappy work on your boat. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for responding and for the compliments! As for the size, I was 64 when I bought this boat. I had to think about both living space and what I could handle by myself. I look at that two ways: sometimes I sail her by myself, but there are rarely more than two. What if the other person becomes disabled in some way? The Hunter helps because they made the cockpit smaller so the cabin space could be bigger. I hope you'll keep reading. I'll have another article up in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete