Monday, April 15, 2013

The Day I Moved Aboard



     Or, ever have that funny feeling you’ve forgotten something?

So there I was, standing at the dock, a cat carrier in each hand. I’d planned for this day, and two days earlier, had bought the 31’ Hunter I was going to live on. It was November 15, 2010 and I was about to either dazzle or confuse everyone I knew.

I was certain I had thought of everything. I had prepared. I researched living aboard extensively. I knew some people who either had lived aboard a sailboat or were currently living that way, and I quizzed them until their eyes glazed over.

Meanwhile, I bought three plastic storage bins. I put in them the clothes I thought I absolutely had to have. For the next three months, those plastic bins were my closet. If I wanted to wear something that wasn’t in one of the bins, something had to come out (and stay out). So by the time I was ready to move aboard, I had my wardrobe whittled down to a manageable level.

Next, I took a hard look at what I was able to afford. I wanted a boat about 30’ long, because I thought that was the most I could sail safely by myself if caught in a storm. With my budget, I quickly realized that if I got a sound boat, it was unlikely to have a lot of amenities. So … I stopped using my refrigerator and started using an ice chest in the kitchen. I had a friend who lived on his boat without a refrigerator, so I knew it was possible. My sailing club membership includes ice and wasn’t far away, so ice wasn’t a budget-buster.

Finally, I found my boat, and took possession of it on Nov. 13, 2010! I rapidly moved the things I felt I could not live without: my collection of DVD’s, a few pots and pans, herbs and spices. The things I needed to take care of my two cats. Not much.

It didn’t hit me until I stepped into the cockpit with the cats: there was one very serious issue I hadn’t addressed – the possibility of seasickness! As I moved the cats into the cabin, it dawned on me: plenty of people who don’t get seasick in the cockpit get quite sick when they’ve gone below. And I had spent virtually all my time on sailboats in the cockpit. In the cockpit, I had only gotten seasick once, while anchored for five hours in extremely rough water. However, I was spectacularly sick. Many people who don’t normally get seasick do so in the cabin. What if I was one of those people? All my preparation and I didn’t know the answer to that question. I thought, “This may be a very short life style change!”

Fortunately, it turns out that I don’t get seasick in the cabin. Neither did the cats, but it was just pure luck.

LESSON LEARNED: if you’re going to live aboard, spend time in the cabin and make sure you can be comfortable on your boat -- everywhere on the boat.

And, given that one experience with mal de mer, I keep Bonine aboard. I take it if there’s any chance it’s going to be rough.

2 comments:

  1. Susan I really like what you are doing here. I think you are on the right course. (By the way, your Robert Frost quote fits you perfectly! But you already know that!) Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! It's turning out to be a lot of fun. Dan is going to contribute some sections on weather for newer sailors. Fairly soon I hope to move it to my own domain, and that should improve the site considerably.

      Delete