Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Half a Fish That Got Away

Or, Actually I've Seen This Before ...

My friend Samantha Ring, whom I sailed with last Saturday, loves to fish. I think she may love to fish more than she loves to sail. The Sea Scout with us also loves to fish. So as soon as we were out in the Gulf of Mexico, Sam put a line over the transom. She rigged a reel to the frame of the Bimini.

I saw the hook. It was huge, and it had no bait. No bait? "It's OK. We have a spoon on it," said the Sea Scout.

Huh? Fish prefer to eat with spoons? Who knew?

I was lying down in the cockpit by the time they got their first hit. The fish got away. The second one did also.

Not the third, however. I was, frankly, too sick to lift my head and look by then, but I heard them whoopin' and hollerin' as they pulled that fish in. "Look at the size! He's HUGE! YAHOOOO!" they yelled.

Just as they were pulling the fish up to the boat, something -- either a small shark or a big barracuda, they're not sure -- jumped up, cut off the bottom two thirds of the fish, and swam away with it. Here's what was left.


As you can see, that was a fairly good-sized fish. The theory among some is that this fish was stolen by a shark because barracuda cuts aren't so jagged. I seem to remember a pretty clean cut when a barracuda stole my fish ...

I was ten. We had just moved to Fort Lauderdale, and my parents, inveterate fishers, were making yet another desperate attempt to turn me, my sister and my brother into fishers also (it never worked). This particular beautiful night, we were on a commercial boat with about 30 people, "drift fishing." They took us out to the Gulf Stream and drifted in it while the kingfish were running. All around me people were pulling fish in just about as fast as the crew could help them. I really didn't care that I hadn't caught any fish. I wasn't wild about kingfish. I was satisfied to be on a boat, so quiet with the engine off, drifting along under that stupendous starlit sky.

The captain, however, was determined that I should catch a fish. He even kept the boat out an extra half an hour hoping I would at least catch one. Just as we were about to give up, I got a strong hit! The crew all ran to me, coached, me, and helped me pull this huge kingfish up to the boat. They got out their gaffe and hooked it (something I thought was absolutely barbaric). Just as they pulled it up, a huge barracuda jumped out of nowhere and sliced that fish off just below the gaffe. The crew sadly pulled the head and gills in, and said, "Well, at least you caught something."

I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing them drive that huge hook into a living animal so casually. I haven't fished since and I frankly cheered for the barracuda, who put the poor beast out of his misery quickly while cleverly getting an easy meal for himself as well.

So I didn't have to look at the fish stolen from Samantha. I'd seen this marine stunt before.

Samantha and the Sea Scout continued the weekend sail after I was taken off the boat, and Sunday night they cooked what was left of their fish on a grill. Everyone there says it was quite delicious, but I'm still rooting for the clever fellow who got the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment