Tuesday, February 4, 2014

This Is not a Happy Topic

... Skin Cancer


It is widely believed among those who get a lot of sun exposure that having a tan will protect one from skin cancer. It *will* protect you from a casual burn, but it will not protect you from skin cancer. 

As I have recently found out, bad burns during child put one at greatly increased risk for squamous-cell skin cancer. 

You may have heard that the only "serious" skin cancer is melanoma. Melanoma is nothing to laugh at, that's for sure, but under the wrong circumstances, squamus-cell and even basal cell can become serious. As it happens, I haven't had yearly skin examinations, but I am saying now: GET THAT YEARLY SKIN EXAMINATION.

It wouldn't have helped me, as it turns out, unless that examination had been within the last three months or so, but most of the time it helps a great deal. I happen to have a rapidly growing squamous-cell skin cancer, on the bridge of my nose, and it's going to have to be dealt with aggressively. Most of the time, though, if you get that yearly skin examination, the doctor will find any skin cancers (even melanoma, which is highly treatable now if caught early) in plenty of time.

I have noticed that when I offer sunscreen to people on my boat, women take it if they forgot to use it, but men? I can't think of a single man I have ever seen use sunscreen. No, that's not true. I do know a couple. They have both had skin cancer and I guess the doctor got their attention.

Just because a skin cancer can USUALLY be removed in plenty of time does not mean you should be casual about this. Wear hats, and use sun screen. Unfortunately it hadn't been invented when I was a child, so a lot of people of my age are going to have otherwise unnecessary skin cancers. 

Don't be foolish. Use good sun screen, and reapply it periodically. Wear a hat (if it storms, you have my blessing to take it off in favor of your foulie hood!)

And get that yearly skin exam. Then, just because the doctor says "it's no big deal," don't think that means you're chasing monsters under the bed. It's just that you caught the monster very early. That's a very good thing to do.


https://www.facebook.com/boldlygosailing?skip_nax_wizard=true

No comments:

Post a Comment