Monday, September 16, 2013

FOR THE SUNDANCER WHO "WAKED" ME

     Or, Money can’t buy happiness

To the guy with the beautiful black and white Sundancer:

Hi, Pal. I’m sorry it bothered you when I took your picture. It was the day after the Christmas Boat Parade, and I was trying to return to Bradenton, but there was just too much fog on Tampa Bay. I wasn’t about to try to cross a shipping channel in white-out fog, and I wasn’t going to attempt the Manatee River that way either.

So I turned around to go back to Boca Ciega Yacht Club.

I saw you there as I headed out, aground between Structure C and Structure E bridges. I knew you must be frustrated, but since there was a rising tide, I figured, “He’ll have a beer, break out the snacks, and be free soon enough.” It could have been so much worse.

But on my return trip, you were still there, but now with not one but TWO Boat US boats trying to pull you off. On a rising tide. All it would have taken was a little patience. “Where did you have to go so urgently?” I wondered. What was the rush?

I’m sorry, but that made a good photo. I didn’t have my camera handy, so I did take a picture with my phone.

You had no way of knowing the phone was going to commit telephone hara-kiri before I could get the picture off of it. That photo is gone forever.

But you didn’t know that. I went on my way at about 6 knots, through Structure C and then northeast up the end of Boca Ciega Bay back toward the club. Imagine how surprised I was to see you behind me when I was about two thirds of the way there!


Example of the boat that went after me not once but twice.

I was even more surprised when you revved up both engines and circled my boat, throwing it about 50º to port, and then 50º to starboard. Fortunately I had my cat in her carrier in the cockpit. I was able to grab it and protect her – but what if there had been children in the cabin? They would not have been able to reach the overhead handles. They could have actually been quite badly hurt.

 
My cat, "Spot," chillin' while we sail

Unfortunately, this isn’t the end of the story. About two weeks later, I had exited Twin Dolphin Marina and was moving west in that nice, open area, when – lo and behold – a Sundancer came up behind me! It held back, and I thought “How polite. He knows his boat wake and isn’t going to toss me around by accident.”

Not by accident, but on purpose – again. This time you didn’t bother to circle, but you did blast your engines with everything they had and threw my boat around again. Sorry to tell you, but I have lee cloths over my shelves. You didn’t toss any of my belongings either time. I’m also happy to report that you didn’t kill my cat, who is always in her carrier in the cockpit now where I can grab it and keep her safe from people like you, and you didn’t injure anyone who might have had the misfortune of being in the cabin when you pulled that stunt. Thank goodness. That could have put you in prison.

Could it have been two different boats? I suppose, but it doesn’t seem very likely, does it?

As I say, I apologize for taking your picture, but it doesn’t justify your behavior. Next time I’m getting your numbers and calling the Coast Guard.
        
Sailors, this kind of behavior on the part of power boats is NOT typical. It is, however, why you should secure your belongs below, because whether intentional or unintentional, wakes happen. 

 Go to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/boldlygosailing?skip_nax_wizard=true

No comments:

Post a Comment